Apple: macOS Catalina with Sidecar, Apple Arcade etc.
Apple has released its latest software, MacOS Catalina, on all supported MacBooks and iMacs. The update brings several new features and is one of the biggest updates made to macOS. The biggest change with macOS Catalina is the termination of iTunes. The music player has been replaced after 18 years by music, television and podcasts. Additionally, the new version of the operating system includes the Sidecar, a feature that allows the iPad to be used as a secondary display. Catalina comes with a paid Apple TV +, Apple Arcade and more.
The most important feature of macOS Catalina is probably the Sidecar. With this feature, holders can use an iPad as a secondary display. This is a great feature that many will love. However, it is limited to MacBooks that have the Butterfly keyboard and will work on all supported iMacs.
As for the end of iTunes, we believe it was the end of it and we don’t think anyone is missing. Apple has included support for Apple Arcade gaming where with a monthly subscription, holders can access more than 100 game titles on the Mac with content stored on all Apple devices. Apple has updated the Photos app, other slightly Safari design as well as the interface with Siri while also bringing Screen Time from iOS.
The update includes the new Apple TV application with support for Apple TV + subscription. The streaming service will be available next month in selected markets. Music and Podcasts apps have been available on iOS for a while now, so it’s nothing new for Apple friends. The update includes many security improvements.
The new MacOS Catalina update is available as an OTA for all MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac and Mac Mini models released in 2012 or later. It also supports MacBook 2015 and later, iMac Pro and later, and 2013 Mac Pro and later. Apple has also released the Mac Catalyst Developer Tool, which allows them to create Mac versions for iOS / iPadOS applications.
See the log:
• Stream and download over 50 million songs with an Apple Music subscription.
• Access the iTunes Store to purchase songs or albums.
• Find all music purchased, downloaded, or imported from CDs organized in the improved library.
• Buy or rent the latest movie releases.
• Subscribe to Apple TV channels to watch popular shows on demand and ad-free, online or off.
• Start watching on one device and pick up where you left off on any of your other devices, including Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and compatible smart TVs.
• Find podcasts by title, topic, guest, host, and content.
• Subscribe to your favorite podcasts to receive the latest episodes automatically.
• Begin listening to an episode on your Mac, then resume seamlessly on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch when on the go.
Syncing and backup
• Sync content and back up, update, and restore software from Finder when you connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac.
App Store with Apple Arcade
• Play 100+ new groundbreaking games with one subscription – no ads or additional purchases.
• Browse the latest games, personalized recommendations, and exclusive editorial content in the all-new Arcade tab on the App Store.
• Enjoy games across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.
• Enjoy a new class of Mac apps built from your favorite iPad titles.
• Expand your Mac workspace by using your iPad as a second display.
• Place one app on each screen, or put your main canvas on your Mac and your tools and palettes on your iPad.
• Use Apple Pencil for tablet input when using your favorite creative pro Mac apps.
Continuity Sketch and Markup
• Create a sketch on your iPad or iPhone and insert it into any document on your Mac.
• Use your iPad or iPhone to sign a PDF or mark up a screenshot on your Mac.
• Control your Mac completely with your voice using Voice Control.
• Enable Hover Text to display large, high-resolution text in a dedicated window.
• Zoom in close on one screen when using two displays for improved legibility with Zoom Display.
• Feel secure knowing that the apps you use have been checked by Apple for known malware.
• Authorize access to data when apps request it using new data protections.
• Keep track of your devices and find friends and family with an easy-to-use new app.
• Help locate devices even if not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular.
• Use Activation Lock to protect Mac models with Apple T2 Security Chip.
• Enjoy a new immersive, dynamic experience that showcases your best photos and memories.
• View Memory Movies and edit their duration, mood, and title.
• Browse using an updated start page that surfaces sites from your history, bookmarks, reading lists, iCloud Tabs, and even links sent to you in Messages.
• Help secure your accounts using strong passwords suggested by Safari.
• View notes as visual thumbnails in gallery view.
• Enjoy a more powerful search that recognizes text in scanned items and objects within images.
• Share an entire folder of notes using shared folders.
• Use new edit buttons to add dates, locations, flags, attachments, and more to reminders.
• Take control of your inbox by muting a thread, blocking a sender, or unsubscribing from a mailing list.
• Gain insight into time spent using apps and websites and set usage limits.
• Set up Family Sharing to use Screen Time with your family’s devices.